- In any given send message request, a bot can send up to 25 messages in a single POST request. Within the 25 messages, a bot is allowed to have up to 5 messages directed to a single user.
- Whether you send 1 message or 5 messages, that collection of requests is considered a “batch” of messages to a user.
- A bot is allowed 20 unsolicited batches to a user a day.
- This means you could be sending between 20-100 unsolicited messages to a user a day depending on how many messages you have in a batch. How the bot platform determines unsolicitation works like a debit/credit system that resets at the end of a day. e.g. Julie sends the bot a message, the balance becomes +1. The bot responds with 3 messages in one batch, the balance becomes 0. Julie sends the bot 1 message, the balance becomes +1. The bot responds with 5 messages in separate batches, the balance becomes -4. Julie sends the bot a message, the balance becomes +1. The bot responds with 5 messages in separate batches, the balance becomes -9.
- If this deficit continues to -20, the daily user rate limit will have reached, and the bot will NOT be able to send any more messages to that user. There are different methods to work with this rate limit, e.g. using batches more efficiently or building a UX that encourages more user interactivity.
Can’t find what you’re looking for? Email us at [email protected].